Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Do you ever need a vacation from your vacation?



Do you ever feel like you return home from vacation and you are so exhausted that it takes days to recover? I'm wondering if it's just me getting old or if everyone at one time or another experiences this phenomena! I guess maybe I'm the sole source of my own suffering here as I plan every minute of our vacation from start to finish included bathroom breaks. Almost anyways! The epithet of the true vacation task master ensues below. Enjoy!

We decided to do a San Diego Trip this year. We made it shorter than our 10 day LA, Beverly Hills, and Disney Land trip last year and I figured we'd come home feeling a little less worn out. Boy, was I wrong!

Who knew how much there is to actually do in San Diego. In my weeks of research, I found everything from Train to Tequila Museums! A vacation plan for me usually takes weeks and days of orchestration. I research everything from where to go, what to eat, and even where to park and include all the costs and maps so we can easily get there without wasting a second of time! I narrowed it down to the standard, beach, Sea World, Zoo, and a little marathon shopping thrown in!



Day one, as we rolled in from the Highway, was La Jolla Beach. Our favorite place on earth. The skies were blue and the tide pools were clear and full of fun creatures to look at! Cooper's love of the Ocean is stronger than ever. He told me he, "loves all the Ocean, even the sharks, except for the bad sharks like the Great White!" One day, I'm sure he'll love those big guys as well, but the fear factor runs strong in him as sharks terrorize me in my dreams. Hopefully, this will not be his worst fear! We did lunch at our ol' stand by, Karl Strauss Brewery, and then off to check into our Hotel, dinner, and to sleep for our next day of torture.


Day two started at the crack of dawn with breakfast in the hotel and then off to Sea World or so we thought. OK, so no, I'm not perfect! I accidentally copied the WRONG directions into our map and we ended up in the totally wrong place, but with a little detour through the Naval base got back to the I5 freeway and followed the signs to Sea World. You would think with an MBA I could get this stuff straight, but we got there eventually and that's all that mattered! To err is to be human! Boy, did I get a railing from Bob about how it's a good thing we have 'Bob-Star' to get us there! On a side note, we all call my darling husband 'Bob-Star' because he has a memory like a steel trap and keen sense of direction. Literally, we haven't been to San Diego in almost 4 years, but he still knows how to get around there WITHOUT even looking at a map most of the time and this is only the 3rd time we've been there in our lives! I married an idiot savant when in comes to maps, traveling, directions, etc... I lucked out there because as it turns out apparently I'm very directionally challenged!




Sea World was fun, lunch in the park was relaxing, and the shows were great! All except we decided to sit at the very front of the Shamu show and got DRENCHED! Cooper cried and became terrified of getting splashed again and spent the remainder of the show hiding on the floor behind the people. We got wise later in the day and did the dolphin show staying well clear of the 'splash zone!' It was so hot though that we were wishing we were getting some cool relief down there the whole time! After seeing EVERYTHING, it was dinner on the way home and slip into bed for another night's sleep in a strange bed. Did I sleep? Totally unsure if you could call it sleep or not!



Onto day three! Again, crack of dawn and breakfast at the hotel. Are you seeing a pattern? Off to the San Diego Zoo and YES my directions were correct this time! We took all day to walk the zoo and see all the animals we could! Great exercise but doing two marathon's in two days with a 3 year old is a lot of work! Thank God we got smart the 2nd day and rented a stroller at the zoo for him although this was more of a curse in disguise. Now I had to push a heavy zoo stroller with a 38 lb
kid in it up all the hills, but it greatly improved his mood which was worth it! The day ended with dinner in our room and off to bed!

Day four was a great day of shopping at the Seaport Village on the bay. So great to walk in and out of the shops, pick up souvenirs for our family, and have a seafood lunch watching the sailboats on the bay. A slice of heaven I tell you! What better than shopping and some great seafood?! Back to the hotel, dinner, went to the theatre to see a movie and back to pack up so we could check out early and head on home the next day! We stopped at the Dunes on the way back and took a quick family snapshot! Boy was the sand HOT. We were actually seeing a mirage on the road that looked like a pool of water it was so HOT!

Trip summary, not one minute of time where we weren't doing or seeing something new and exciting. Mission accomplished...exhaustion ensued!

No comments:

Post a Comment